Published on Friday, 27 April 2012 13:15
There are a few changes taking place at WIQI-FM/FM News 101.1, as Chicago's newest news station continues to make tweaks to its product, looking to perfect its programming. Three news anchors are exiting, while others are being shuffled to different spots.
News anchor Mike Wilson, who had joined the station just days before it launched last July as its overnight anchor, and who had fairly recently moved to being a daytime report, has given notice. Wilson is in talks for a job at WIBC-FM, Indianapolis' FM News station, which could start next month. His last day on the air with WIQI-FM will be on May 11th.
As of today, exiting the station immediately are news anchor/reporter Katherine Kelly and news anchor/meteorologist Ed Curran. Both had been part of the station since before its launch in July. WIQI-FM management had no comment on the reasons behind the forced exits, other than to thank them for their months of contributions to the station and that "we wish them the best in the future."
Other changes & re-arranges at the station include:
- news anchor Jeff McKinney moving to afternoons
- news anchor Monica DeSantis moving to middays
- news anchor JoAnn Gennette moves to weekend morning anchor and weekday reporter
- news anchor/reporter Debra Dale moves to weekday morning reporter
- reporter Annette Flournoy shifts to late weekday and weekend reporter
- reporter Lindsey Reiser shifts to early weekday and weekend reporter
- reporter Matt McClain moves to weekend evening anchor and weekday evening reporter
- WLUP-FM's rock DJ Byrd will no longer be doing sports updates for WIQI-FM
WIQI-FM, which has been on the air for exactly nine months now, is in the process of finally unveiling itself to the general listening public this month, with billboard campaigns already started, news updates heard on 87.7 FM and 97.9 FM, and more planned for May.