StreetWise Publisher/Multimedia Specialist
Published on Monday, 15 September 2014 13:53
Empower the entrepreneurial spirit through the dignity of self-employment by providing Chicagoans facing homelessness with a combination of supportive social services, workforce development resources and immediate access to gainful employment.
StreetWise, Inc. is a workforce development agency dedicated to helping the homeless and those at risk of homelessness out of poverty. The StreetWise model combines supportive social services, (focused on employment training and housing stability) with the opportunity for gainful self-employment, to assist clients on the road to financial stability and self-sufficiency.
As a publication, StreetWise magazine is socially conscious and Chicago-centric. It raises awareness on of social justice, poverty and homelessness in Chicago, across the nation, and around the world. The editorial staff work hard to provide intriguing articles about today's important issues as well as entertaining articles to enhance the reader’s daily life. StreetWise Magazine is dedicated to furthering society's understanding of poverty so that readers will be inspired to work towards its eradication.
Purpose of Position:
The Publisher reports to the Managing Director of Programs and is responsible for guiding the mission of StreetWise magazine and internally/externally managing the StreetWise brand. He or she manages the editorial calendar and production schedule while conceptualizing and designing the weekly magazine. This position serves a dual purpose as Multimedia Specialist. Under this role, he or she is responsible for multimedia communications-related activities/initiatives, including managing the agency's photo and video portfolio, managing and maintaining the organization's website, managing all social media tools.
- Layout and design the weekly, 16 page, StreetWise magazine.
- Manage the relationship with the magazine printing company to assure that all deadlines, (i.e. internal and external) are met and that the product meets expected quality standards.
- Handle the electronic submission of magazine page files and solidify print order and delivery.
- Create and manage detailed editorial calendar and production schedule for print and web media.
- Edit, copyedit and proofread content for agency print and web materials.
- Conduct interviews and write feature and news stories for StreetWise magazine.
- Conduct vendor interviews and write the weekly "Vendor Profile" column.
- Manage the sale of magazine advertisements and ensure the finalization of contracts.
Marketing & Communications Operations:
- Produce and edit agency in-house photography and videography.
- Conceptualize and coordinate all agency video production.
- Manage and update the StreetWise website.
- Manage and update all social media tools.
- Graphic design marketing material (e.g., brochures, annual report, StreetWise Calendar, etc.).
- Measure effectiveness of communication strategies by using various tracking and research methods, i.e. Google analytics and readership surveys.
- Conduct up-to-date market research to increase magazine sales and raise agency awareness.
- Manage all media, public relations and marketing interns.
- Assign interns various tasks, such as writing vendor profiles and feature news stories, writing press releases and other PR content, updating the website and social media, updating the StreetWise bulletin board, participating in StreetWise video/photography projects, etc.
- Create marketing material for various staff members and print copies as necessary.
- Participate in on- and off-site staff trainings, workshops and outreach events as needed.
- Participate in StreetWise fundraising events.
- Perform other related duties as required
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, marketing, communications, visual arts or a related field.
- Outstanding organizational and follow-through skills.
- Demonstrated desire/ability to work with the homeless and at-risk individuals by providing support, motivation and compassion in accordance with the StreetWise mission and philosophy.
- Experience working in journalism and/or marketing/production.
- Intermediate-Advanced ability with Adobe Photoshop and In-Design.
- Intermediate experience using Adobe Illustrator.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of graphic design, layout and design theory.
- Basic ability in video and audio production (e.g., familiarity with Adobe's Final Cut Pro, Apple's iMovie, etc.)
- Advanced ability in Content Management Systems, specifically WordPress.
- Intermediate-advanced ability with social media: Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, YouTube.
- Advanced ability with web tracking tools, i.e. Google Analytics.
- Proficiency with blogging, writing for the web and Search Engine Optimization.
- Strong computers skills, including Microsoft Office.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and creatively.
- Strict attention to detail is a must; ability to multi-task is essential.
- Ability to work independently and finish assignments within identified timeframes.
- Desire, creativity, and flexibility to work in a growing agency.
- Willingness to work flexible hours as needed.
- Ability to handle various projects concurrently.
Full-time, 40 hours per week, with evening and weekend hours as needed.
Annual Time Off:
Determined by seniority and experience, plus agency holidays.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and 2-3 writing samples to
StreetWise is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required, with or without assistance, to talk or hear, sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, and move from place to place.