New WGN-TV logo and news set

It looks like WGN-TV is trying to one up its longtime rival WFLD-TV. One week after Fox 32 debuted its new news set, WGN-TV debuted its own new news set and logo tonight. It looks pretty cool. It's about time!

Thursday, May 18 2017, 08:58 AM - #permalink
    A new set still doesn't fix all of the joking, conversation, and ad-libbing that takes place during most of the WGN newscasts.

I guess I'm too old school for this. Could not believe that they were showing the news set during the Cubs telecast last night as if it is a big deal.

Sorry, but they should go back to the days when covering the news and breaking stories actually mattered.

Tell me about some big story they discovered exclusively and will be explained tonight at 9:00.

Never mind the bells and whistles.

Thursday, May 18 2017, 12:33 PM - #permalink
    Yea, awefully bland if you ask me. We caught it last night watching the storms.

Thursday, May 18 2017, 05:20 PM - #permalink
    Seriously who cares?

Thursday, May 18 2017, 10:55 PM - #permalink
    I think having the radar image behind Mark and Micah while Skilling was talking was pretty cool. I like it and they are using some cool new camera angles too. It's better than the old set. Just more white that I thought it would be.

THe logo on the other hand hasn't really changed. All they did was change the font style and removed the bold face type from WGN. I was expecting a brand new logo. Not a refresh on what they already use.

Friday, May 19 2017, 12:19 PM - #permalink
    The new WGN 9 News' set is an upgrade. The noticeable difference is that the new WGN logo along with the time & temperature appears back on the right side of the screen instead of the left side.

I can live without constantly seeing "WGN-TV Chicago" in all their promos. Just put it at the top of the hour for legal purposes. Better yet, how 'bout putting that word in WGN's new logo?

Also, it's about time WGN Sports' graphics undergoes a facelift of their own, too. Those graphics can be hard to reead.

Friday, May 19 2017, 02:55 PM - #permalink
    As Robin has mentioned on air - it's too roomy. When they do a 4 person shot, I feel like they are at the far end of a tunnel. I know, I know, some will say that's in improvement, lol.

The set is not morning crew friendly.

Other than that, it's fine. Happy they kept with a lot of blue

I like the time and temp over to the right.

The cement blocks are a strange choice.

Seeing Ben Bradley on that set, for a second I thought I had WLS on.

Friday, May 19 2017, 05:41 PM - #permalink
    Regarding Channel 9's new news set, the fake brick trim on it reminds me of the backdrop of Garfield Goose's castle.

Sunday, May 21 2017, 01:14 AM - #permalink
    I also thought the brick looks like Garfield Goose's castle. Not a bad look.