Today's News & Notes column features eight local media news items, including: Kathy Hart may be exiting WTMX-FM; Steve Dahl is back in the hospital; Steve Cochran talks about himself; Lisa Greene is gone from WEBG-FM; Jeff Davis is mostly gone from WLS-FM; WSCR-AM brings back Ryno; Tribune Media gets closer to new ownership; and WLS-TV is seeking a new General Sales Manager. All of these stories are at the link below...

News & Notes: Kathy Hart; Steve Dahl; Steve Cochran; Lisa Greene; Jeff Davis; WSCR; Tribune Media; Vincent Sollecito

Thursday, May 04 2017, 06:16 PM - #permalink
    That would be a heck of a bidding war. WLIT, WLS-FM, WJMK, and WUSN all chase women 25-54. Could see one blowing up their morning show to make it happen.

I know Cochran likes to brag about the fact that he signs a new contract extension every month, but he's going to quit before it runs out. A new owner will not make him a part of programming decisions and force him to show up on time. He will quit and say the out towners ruined the place. He needs to feel powerful.

Thursday, May 04 2017, 07:02 PM - #permalink
    I thought the entire reason for the sale of Tribune tower and 2501 Bradley Street by Tribune Corp was to give them the funds needed to maintain and grow Tribune's television operators,so why all of the sudden are they selling these operators?

Thursday, May 04 2017, 07:05 PM - #permalink
    Red ink continues at Tronc (the newspapers). 1Q17 revenue down 9.2% vs 1Q16 at TroncM. At TroncX, 1Q17 revenue decreased 3.2% compared to 1Q16.

Eventually, revenue will stabilize. But I would bet at a level at least 30% lower than today.

A Washington Post exec recently stated that that newspaper will probably not be publishing a paper copy within five years. Same will apply to Tribune.

And digital advertising is MUCH LESS profitable than newspaper advertising.

Warren Buffet once said that he loved newspapers because they gave him a licence to print dollars.

Thursday, May 04 2017, 07:22 PM - #permalink
    JD Sparkler, we can only hope! I am so hoping that the new owners will wise up to this arrogant baffoon and take away all the power he currently has! He has ruined this station and I would love to see him gone!!

Thursday, May 04 2017, 10:07 PM - #permalink
    Regarding KH: If you listen to her a lot, she can be quite mean on air, or be very defensive if someone messes with her fad of the day.

Also, when Eric has a scheduled vacation/time off; there's not a Eric-less show, KH is off as well. You never see her running the show solo. When KH takes time off, Melissa fills in for KH and the shows goes on.

I dont want to see the show break up, but if she moves on for her own sanity sake, I believe the current set up of Eric, Melissa and Whip can be just fine.

Friday, May 05 2017, 01:25 AM - #permalink
    If she's finally had it up to here, she should take her money and run. They've paid her un-equally to Ferguson for years but it was still a pretty penny. She could retire if she wants, or do some part-time on her own schedule, or podcast or tv or whatever. That's the dream, isn't it ---to have enough $$ to not work??

Friday, May 05 2017, 05:53 AM - #permalink
    My wife listens to Eric and Kathy while she gets ready for work. What I do hear of the show is Eric thinks he is funny and clever, AND HE IS NEITHER.... Nothing original or genuine.

Friday, May 05 2017, 01:09 PM - #permalink
    Wishing a speedy recovery and good health to Steve. (Dahl, that is. What that other Steve has is, I believe, incurable.)

Friday, May 05 2017, 05:32 PM - #permalink
    Maybe Me-TV would hire her for their new morning show?

I listened to E&K for a few months, I had no idea about the behind the scenes drama. After awhile I stopped listening, I felt like I was sitting in on the cool, stuck up table.

I'll stick with the clowns at WGN TV in the morning, they seem to be more my crowd.

Friday, May 05 2017, 07:33 PM - #permalink
    MG wrote of the Eric and Kathy show- What I do hear of the show is Eric thinks he is funny and clever, AND HE IS NEITHER.... Nothing original or genuine.

Totally agreed! It's not just that Eric is not funny, he's not interesting in the least. I've tried many times to listen to that show to see what I am missing that everyone else seems to get,.and you know what? I am not missing anything compelling or good at all!

Saturday, May 06 2017, 08:34 AM - #permalink
    Re: Kathy Hart -- Radio is dead and any inclination she'd start a bidding war to go over "25-54" demos is crazy talk when half of THAT demo has moved onto streaming/podcasts/satellite radio.

Saturday, May 06 2017, 12:45 PM - #permalink
    I just read the article on Steve Cochran.

Some of the details aren't quite the way I remember them.

I recall his contract wasn't renewed because he was always terribly late for his show, his ratings were down and it wasn't an issue of creative control.

Although I do remember the program director, Kevin Metheny, going on Steve's show and actually telling Steve and the audience that he didn't like Steve's show!

Mother Tribune was bankrupt at the time under the Zell/Michaels regime and they wouldn't pay Steve the million dollars that Spike was making to do the morning show. So Steve turned the offer down.

The bankruptcy finally ended after 4-5 years.

It's good Jimmy had the smarts to pay Steve the million dollars he deserves before he left WGN and to sign him to a long-term contract.

Congratulations Steve!