Tom Skilling Weight Gain

I'm a big fan of Tom Skilling, and I've noticed a massive weight gain in the last 18 months or so. I was watching tonight and I see his suit is straining to keep his larger presence in check. I read that his significant other is very conscious of his physical well being, and indeed, he is in great shape himself. I'm worried that our Tom will face significant health problems if this continues. No other weather forecaster in this county can compare to Mr. Skilling and I hope he can get this under control.

Wednesday, April 26 2017, 05:43 AM - #permalink
    Who gives you the right to fat shame.

Wednesday, April 26 2017, 06:14 AM - #permalink
    It is tough to lose weight..If you are going to be on TV- well, you should work on that, what I find sad- is that several months ago now, Tom did a whole feature on his weight gain, and showed how he was changing his life style to lose weight through diet and exercise.

Again, it's hard to lose weight, easy to gain. Unless one is really committed to losing weight, you shouldn't really put yourself out there like Tom did, showing how he was going to lose weight.

We need this man around, simply the best at what he does!

Wednesday, April 26 2017, 06:15 AM - #permalink
    It's none of your business how Tom leads his life.

Are the glasses he wears good enough for you? Should he get a new haircut? Have you seen the car he drives?

Wednesday, April 26 2017, 06:59 AM - #permalink
    The OP has every right to ask that about a public figure. He isn't required to get an answer. He said he's a fan of Skilling's and just wants to know. Lighten up you drama queens.

Wednesday, April 26 2017, 10:10 AM - #permalink
    Hey, obesity is a serious issue in the US. It leads to multiple health problems. So someone show some concern. Don't beat the messenger.

As a viewer and a fan of his, I also have noticed his weight gain. I also have difficulties with controlling my weight and so I'm sensitive to it. We don't know whether its hereditary or diet or lack of exercise but Tom is not as young as he once was (hell, none of us are) so I'm hoping he's under doctors care. That he has a nutritionist to advise him.

So tell me that if he wants to develop diabetes, a heart condition, hypertension, cancer, depression and any number of other outcomes, that's his right. Ok,

Wednesday, April 26 2017, 11:38 AM - #permalink
    @ m.o.

For reference, the drama queens are the ones making a big deal out of someone's appearance?

I mean, those who aren't drama queens don't want to talk about somebody's appearance. They look beyond that and see the good inside people.

Just checking.

Thursday, April 27 2017, 09:59 AM - #permalink
    I'm no doctor, but sometimes medications can cause weight gain. Steroids, etc.

If I remember correctly, Tom had some health issues a while back. Dizziness or something.

Could it be possible that he is on some meds for that which are causing him to gain weight?

Thursday, April 27 2017, 11:27 AM - #permalink
    Bingo, El Bandito. Probably steroids-related.

But I do have a comment about TV weather.

Why would anyone tune in?

The value of the Weather Channel has decreased over 75% since a PE firm bought it. Why? Smartphones.

Friday, April 28 2017, 12:02 PM - #permalink
    FearTheTree wrote:

>Why would anyone tune in?
    >The value of the Weather Channel has decreased over 75% since a PE firm bought it. >Why? Smartphones.

Because he's more than just a guy giving the forecast. He's like the narrator of Mother Nature's daily show! He provides the WHY of our weather.

Because, as long as we're living above ground, weather touches so people in so many aspects of their lives; vocations and avocations alike.

Because for the same reason people still go to the symphony even though they could just pull up the same Beethoven suite on their smartphone.

Monday, May 01 2017, 02:14 PM - #permalink
    I agree Tom needs to lose weight - steroids or not.

He should just walk on the beach. Start off slowly and then go a bit faster every day. Faster and further.

I'm 73 and jog over 3 miles on the lakefront every day. Its not easy, just grit your teeth and do it - no matter the weather.

Monday, May 01 2017, 06:48 PM - #permalink
    One thing WGN has wisely done is cut back his hours and added the team behind him of retired NWS forecasters. Recall he was on solo noon-10PM daily for years. That is until he got a health scare a few years ago. He's also 65 and and never been a really active person. As one who's also a workaholic and not the most active, it's a really tough lifestyle change.

I also heard his roomy is a damn good cook. Something he never really had living the bachelor life for so many years. So good food, relatively non-active lifestyle, and medication will yield big time gains over time.

The question is (really between him and his MD team) is whether it's wise to start anything more substantial at the risk of flaring up prior problems. Something we'll never know unless he's seen on the running paths of Lincoln Park/lakeshore. At which point, he'll never get a mile in as people will want to talk, autograph, and selfie him out of time.

RR

Tuesday, May 02 2017, 10:07 AM - #permalink
    Tom Skilling and his 15 minute over the top rocket science forecast segments are just brutal. Who in the world even watches the weather segments on TV anymore? This guy has the phoniest broadcast school voice that I have ever heard. Just awful.