WGN honors some of their great traffic reporters over the year, by giving them a plaque in the "Walk of Fame". Congrats especially to a forgotten leader in traffic reporting- Leonard Baldy- the first Chopper reporter in the city.(Died in a chopper crash 5/2/60)

Was listening yesterday afternoon, there is a girl on the Roe Conn show- I can never catch her name- Roe slurs it usually and she says it so fast, I have no idea what she is saying either. Now I thought WBBM as of late was bad, but this was at 4:50 PM- the heart of the afternoon rush, and this reporter, gave 1 crash on the south side, and 1 expressway delay- beyond incomplete, and she was ill prepared and gave a sloppy report to boot. Sad-

WGN was the leader in traffic for many years. Those days are long gone.

Thursday, May 25 2017, 12:19 PM - #permalink
    Are you referring to Violeta Podrumedic? She's the young traffic reporter on 720 AM WGN Radio's "Roe Conn Show with Anna Davlantes" on the afternoon drive. I hope that helps.

Thursday, May 25 2017, 01:28 PM - #permalink
    How does a station become a "leader in traffic"? Do they take ratings during the traffic reports specifically?

Anyway, one single supposedly botched traffic report doesn't convince me.

Thursday, May 25 2017, 03:32 PM - #permalink
    Ha! I actually heard that report AND CALLED IN! They said that she typically only gives "traffic problems" and we are to assume that traffic is pretty much the same every day at that time! She does seem to be a cute funny girl and she does make me laugh at times but it seems like the only reason she is there is to sell that Traffix app commercial. kind of sad.

Thursday, May 25 2017, 03:39 PM - #permalink
    WGN led the way for radio traffic reports, other station followed.

Violeta is not good.

Thursday, May 25 2017, 06:40 PM - #permalink
    Violeta is not there to be a good traffic reporter.

Thursday, May 25 2017, 08:43 PM - #permalink
    Keep in mind, by way of background--the traffic landscape changed in the late 1970s when Shadow Traffic hit the scene and began doing traffic reports for most stations (either doing live on-the-air reports or providing written reports for the local DJ or news person to read). I was its first program director. I was hired by Gary Lee, who had done traffic for WBBM Newsradio.

Before the late 70's, WGN had had two airborne traffic reporters who were Chicago police officers and Cook County Sheriff's deputies.....*at taxpayer expense*. When other stations complained because the same kind of "perk" wasn't being offered to them, that was the end of that.

Thursday, May 25 2017, 11:24 PM - #permalink
    Speaking earlier of Roe Conn...can he slowwww down a bit...the guy talks so damn fast and is so overly theatrical that I've stopped listening. Anna Davlantes can barely get a word in.....there is no chemistry there whatsoever.

Also, the afternoon BBM 780 co-anchor Keith Johnson is also infected with the super-fast speech bug... the call letters are: WBBM not "du- b-m".

Hello GN and BBM management! ... do you listen to your station ?!

Saturday, May 27 2017, 01:53 AM - #permalink
    Roe and Anna were actually talking about their partnership one day, they were saying how between the two of them they have really good contacts and that's how they get really good guests on their show to explain what's going on. Specifically with government and political news since Anna was a news reporter for so long. That said I don't think she adds much to the on air portion of the show and seems to mainly be allowed to contribute oohs, ums and yeahs most of the time. It looks like there's a more "inside" reason for her to be on that show than her on air performance.

That Violeta girl seems to remind people of Dorothy Humphries back in the day, funny voice and jokey every now and then while doing the traffic. But she sounds so much younger, 'cause she is, and Roe is always making fun of it. They're obviously trying to subtley get a younger age ground to notice the show while having a seasoned professional host but he makes too much of an effort to either make jokes or apologize for her so it gets old. Some things she says are funny but some things she says show that shes not as informed as she should be if she's on such a big station at such a high listening time in the afternoon drive.

Saturday, May 27 2017, 09:54 AM - #permalink
    I also remember Irv Haden who also died in a chopper accident. I've been flying over 50 years and the 2 hours I spent flying a chopper were the scariest I ever had.

Saturday, May 27 2017, 02:37 PM - #permalink
    So that's who that was - I heard her on Lou Manfredini's show today. I thought she was one of his kids. 'GN just gets more odd all the time. The only shows I can stand anymore are Nick D and Patti V. I miss Kathy and Judy so much.
    I would much rather hear Ben Javarsky on 'CPT than Roe Conn any day. His politics are spot on and he is and has been a great reporter for The Reader for many years. Even as a native Chicagoan who thought I knew a lot about the "goings on" here - I always learn something new from Ben - he knows where all the bones are buried!
    Wayne Besen was excellent, too, and I think 'CPT should find a slot for him, also. How about in lieu of NorMAN GoldMAN?

Saturday, May 27 2017, 09:51 PM - #permalink
    For my money, I enjoy listening to "Kathy the Greek"
    on Mancow's show... the best laugh in the business!