Published on Friday, 22 October 2010 11:57
Yes, it is another big ol' News & Notes! This time we look at local media stories involving sad news for WTMX's Kathy Hart, happy news for WGN's Lindsey Kreutzer, WSCR's Matt Abbatacola pinch hits, Melissa Forman gets named co-host, Leslie Marshall returns to Chicago's airwaves again, NBC5's Natalie Martinez talks with Chris Base, Zander also makes a return to Chicago's airwaves again, a Halloween party with WERV's Scott Mackay, a Halloween party with WBBM's Roman & Louie Loop, a Halloween party with WYKT's Tomano & Touhy, a Halloween party with WCIU's Svengoolie & WKSC's Candi, a broadcasting career party with Steve Tingle/John Mamola/Jim Moran, a new job for Shemp, and sad news about Robert Smith. It is all just below.
* * WTMX-FM's morning show queen, Kathy Hart made a stunning, sad and honest announcement on this morning's show. She and her husband of almost twelve years, Bert, are separating. The couple have three children together. This sad news also comes just two weeks after Kathy & Bert lost their dog Keiko, who the couple adopted together when they were engaged. It has been a tough month for Kathy Hart and her family. Best wishes to them all.
* * In happier news, congratulations to WGN-AM producer Lindsey Kreutzer, who was married her longtime boyfriend David last weekend. Lindsey Kreutzer is best known as Lou "Mr Fix-It" Manfredini's right hand on his WGN weekend show. (Pictured below is Lou Manfredini posing with the happy bride.)
* * After months of rumors, it finally happened! The Score was on 105.9 FM today! Well... sort of... With WCFS-FM only having three live personalities for their entire line-up and no part-timers, things get a little tricky when one of them gets some time off. With Steve Fisher not working today, CBS Radio had to call in the reserves. WSCR-AM's producer & personality Matt Abbatacola filled in for the Fresh 105.9 morning show today, dropping the sports talk in favor of talking about "today's Fresh hits." Score fans, don't get too scared. Matty A's not shifting careers to become an Adult Contemporary disc jockey. He was just helping out this morning.
* * With little fanfare, former WLIT-FM morning show host Melissa Forman is now referred to as the co-host of WCIU-TV's "You & Me This Morning." At the end of February, Melissa Forman was asked to fill-in for her friend Jeanne Sparrow as host of the locally-produced television segments, while Sparrow was recovering from a surgery. After Sparrow's return, Forman continued to contribute to the program. She now co-hosts the 8:00am half hour and is a major contributor to rest of the morning segments, as well as a contributor to The U's "You & Me This Morning" website
. The television program airs weekdays on WCIU-TV from 6:00am-9:00am. Jeanne Sparrow continues to be the primary host, though.
* * Leslie Marshall has returned to the Chicago airwaves. The talk radio star and occasional contributor of sanity for Fox News' "O'Reilly Factor," now has her syndicated radio show airing on Chicago's Progressive Talk, which airs on WCPT-AM, WCPT-FM, WCPY-FM, and WCPQ-FM. As of this week, her show airs live, weeknights from 8:00pm-9:00pm. Unfortunately, that is only the first hour of her three hour show, but for fans of Marshall's, it is better than nothing. Twice before, Leslie Marshall worked out of Chicago, both times in the 90's. She first hosted afternoons on WLS-FM in the early 90's, and then returned to co-host evenings on WLS-AM in the late 90's. She currently does her syndicated radio show from Los Angeles.
* * Saturday morning at 10:00am, WMAQ-TV's reporter Natalie Martinez will be Chris Base's special guest on "BaseLine with Chris Base," heard live on WYAM - JammChicago.com
. If you happen to miss Saturday morning's show, Chris Base will podcast the program soon afterwards HERE
* * Mark Zander, the former rock jock from WLUP/WCKG/WXXY, will be back on Chicago's airwaves tomorrow! Zander will now be the midday host on west-suburban WERV-FM every Saturday and Sunday from 10:00am-3:00pm. Listen in on 95.9 FM or via the Internet at 959TheRiver.com
. In addition to this new weekend job, Zander continues to run the successful syndicated shows "The Rockin' 80's" and "The Rockin' 70's," as well as being a radio instructor at Columbia College Chicago.
* * Speaking of The River, Saturday, October 30th is "959The River's Rock n Roll Halloween Bash." The party is at Limestone Brewing Company, located at 12337 Rt 59, Suite 155, in Plainfield, IL, from 8:00pm-1:00am. WERV-FM's morning host Scott Mackay will be the host. Come dressed as your favorite rock n roll star dead or alive, and enjoy live music from the Chicago Music Machine. Costume contest, too. $5 cover charge.
* * Friday, October 29th will the "Psycho Circus Halloween Party" at Nova Lounge (701 W. Lake St., Addison, IL) from 9:00pm-2:00am. WBBM-FM's afternoon co-host Justin Roman will be the host of the "Psycho Circus"-themed night, which will include a costume contest and non-stop dance music. Among the DJs performing at this party will be B96 Mixmaster Louie Loop.
* * The Kat 105.5's morning hosts Tomano & Touhy are hosting their "Halloween Bash" on October 30th at the VFW Hall, located on Route 47 in Morris, IL, from 8:00pm-Midnight. There will be a costume contest, free food from La Piazza, live music from Red dB, and much more.
* * On Saturday, October 30th there will also be a Halloween party at the Ole Lounge (2812 N. Lincoln, Chicago) from 9:00pm-3:00am. The special guest hosts for this event are WCIU-TV's Svengoolie and WKSC-FM's Candi Gomez. There will be a costume contest and there is no cover charge before 11:00pm.
* * Next Wednesday, October 27th, the Illinois Center for Broadcasting will be having another "Careerpalooza" event from 7:00pm-8:30pm. Interested parties can get a tour of their fairly new campus, as well as get to meet WKQX-FM's Steve Tingle, WSCR-AM's John "The Rock" Mamola, Metro Traffic's Jim Moran and others as they discuss careers in broadcasting. It will be held at the Illinois Center for Broadcasting, located at 455 Eisenhower Lane S, Suite 200 in Lombard, IL. Anyone is welcome to attend. Click HERE
to RSVP for this event.
* * Congratulation to former Chicago radio producer (and sometimes reluctant personality) Shemp! Shemp, whose real name is Mark DeYoung, is now the new Operations Manager for KLTG-FM and KOUL-FM in Corpus Christi, TX. Shemp got his start working with Kevin Matthews in Grand Rapids, MI. When Kev came to Chicago radio, he brought Shemp with him. DeYoung worked at WLUP-AM, WLUP-FM, WCKG-FM, and WXCD-FM. Along the way, he produced radio shows for Kevin Matthews, Danny Bonaduce and Steve Dahl, among others. He also hosted HBO's "One Night Stand" when it filmed the stand-up comedy shows here in Chicago's Vic Theatre around 1990. Since leaving Chicago, he has been working in Dallas, producing and programming stations there, and has now moved even farther south, down to the Gulf coast region. Best wishes to Shemp and may the hurricanes miss your transmitters!
* * Longtime Chicago newsman, Robert J. Smith passed away last week at the age of 85. For over 25 years, he worked as a reporter and editor for the Chicago Herald-American, later called the Chicago American, Chicago's American, and Chicago Today. For 16 years following that, he was an editor for the Chicago Tribune, until his retirement in 1990.