Published on Thursday, 07 April 2011 20:32
In tonight's News & Notes, we look at a few media stories, including the DJ formerly known as Steve Fisher coming to TV tomorrow, the former WXRT news person Michelle Damico returning back to XRT tomorrow, Dick Biondi hosting another Sock Hop, Cara Carriveau guesting on a movie-themed podcast, Sound Opinions hosting a very special movie premiere, and an anniversary of the birth of The Blaze. It is all just below.
* * Former WCFS-FM morning show host Steve Fisher (not to mention a veteran Chicago DJ who worked at WKQX-FM, WTMX-FM, WZZN-FM, WXCD-FM and the Nine-FM tri-cast) will be seen tomorrow morning on the WGN-TV's WGN Morning News between 7:00am-9:00am. When not working on the radio, Steve Fisher is superstar Chicago Realtor with Chicago's @Properties Steve McEwen. During the WGN Morning News, Ana Belaval will present an "Around Town" segment that will have Steve McEwen giving a guided tour of his $5.5 million palatial, luxury listing in South Barrington.
* * Former WXRT-FM news person, Michelle Damico, gets back on the saddle tomorrow after many years away. Damico will be handling the news & co-host duties on the WXRT-FM morning show with Lin Brehmer. Mary Dixon has the day off and Michelle Damico agreed to be her fill-in for the day. She previously was WXRT-FM's news person from 1984-1993. Prior to that, she also did news for WBEZ-FM & WFYR-FM. She now runs Michelle Damico Communications, a public relations & communications consulting firm, and is also a consultant with Marj Halperin Consulting. (Marj Halperin being yet another WXRT news veteran.)
* * WLS-FM's Dick Biondi is DJ'ing yet another of his popular Sock Hops this Saturday night. He will be the host of the Gold Key Alumni Dance at Brother Rice High School (10001 S Pulaski, Chicago). The dance begins at 7:30pm and is open to the public. Tickets are $25 and available at the door. There will also be a raffle that night. More information can be downloaded HERE
* * WTMX-FM's Cara Carriveau is the featured guest on a new podcast for CinemaJaw, the Chicago-based movie podcast series. In addition to talking about her own podcast site, CarasBasement.com
, her career, and her job on The Mix, Cara and the CinemaJaw hosts, Ry & Matt, talk about "Movies That Rock." You can hear the podcast at this link HERE
* * Speaking of movies that rock... WBEZ-FM's Sound Opinions at the Movies and Chicago International Movies & Music Festival are presenting the world premiere of "FIX: The Ministry Movie." The movie is a documentary of the influential Chicago industrial music band Ministry. The special screening will take place on next Thursday, April 14th at the Music Box Theatre (3733 N Southport Ave., Chicago) at 7:30pm. In addition to the Sound Opinions co-hosts -- acclaimed pop music critics Greg Kot of the Chicago Tribune and Jim DeRogatis of WBEZ-FM -- hosting the screening, the event will feature a special Q&A session with Ministry Bassist Paul Barker, Film Director Douglas Freel, and Producer Ed Bates. Tickets for the World Premiere screening of "FIX: The Ministry Movie" are only $15 and are available on-line at this link HERE
* * Last Friday was not only April Fool's Day, but also the 20th anniversary of WWBZ-FM, aka 103.5 The Blaze. April 1st, 1991, WFYR-FM became the hard-rockin' Blaze. Scott Childers, who was a staffer at The Blaze has a tribute webpage to the former Chicago rock station, filled with fantastic images, historical information and inside scoops. It can be found at this link HERE