Published on Tuesday, 12 April 2011 16:09
In today's News & Notes, we have local media stories involving layoffs at Univision's WOJO-FM, a name change at WMVP-AM, a fabulous concert for WKSC-FM, a crystal-less WILV-FM, Trey Da Choklit Jok gets animated, Jeff Nuich/David Kaplan at a panel discussion tomorrow, Svengoolie goes world wide on the web, Zander rocks the 80's once again, and Milt Rosenberg gets better with age. It is all just below.
* * Univision Radio had a large wave of layoffs & firings occur last week, cutting many Program Directors and staffers nationwide. Most of the staffers who worked on Univision's "Recuerdo" national format (heard locally on WVIV-FM & WVIX-FM) were released. The seven markets that carry "Recuerdo" will now carry an even more automated musical format. While many markets had it much worse, Chicago was not spared cutbacks, as two DJs were let go. Marco Dennis, overnight host on WOJO-FM was released. Dennis was an over 30 year radio veteran. DJ Jesus Gonzalez was also released last week.
* * WMVP-AM's "Afternoon Saloon" is no more. Don't worry, ESPN 1000 fans... The show is still there. Only the name is gone. The afternoon sports talk show is now officially called "Carmen, Jurko and Harry." There no official reason for the name change, although "The Afternoon Saloon" was always more of a nickname that just stuck. The fact that one of the three hosts was recently arrested
for drunk driving, along with being currently on suspension
and in rehab, may have also played into the decision. For whatever reason, the nickname is no longer anywhere to be found on the show's webpage
. Harry Teinowitz's future with the ESPN radio show is still uncertain, but the fact the name was changed and still includes Teinowitz's name is probably a good sign for his eventual return.
* * Last year, WKSC-FM held a giant concert to kick off the summer called "Fantabuloso." Kiss-FM is doing it again this year with "Fantabuloso Dos," which will take place on May 18th at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont. The concert will feature Pitbull, Muke Posner, Lupe Fiasco, Taio Cruz, T-Pain, Jessie J, Far East Movement, and David Guerra. Tickets are on sale now at this link HERE
at prices that range from $40.90, up to $139.30. There are also special 4-Pack tickets for only $99 for the four tickets for a limited time. (All prices are including Ticketmaster fees).
* * Today was the day that the 2011 Crystal Radio Awards winners were announced at the Radio Luncheon during the NAB Show in Las Vegas. Although it was one of the finalists
for the coveted award, WILV-FM/Rewind 100.3 did not win this year. The station had previously won this award in 2006. The NAB established this award in 1987, which recognizes radio stations for their commitment to community service.
* * WPWX-FM/Power 92's morning/midday host Trey Da Choklit Jok is part of a fun new animated short film. Trey created, co-wrote and does one of the voices in the comedy cartoon, "Dem Damn Ratz." The cartoon comes from some funny "rat" voices that used be done on his morning radio show. You can see the video for yourself on YouTube at this link HERE
. In addition to his radio work, Trey works with the Chicago improv comedy troupe, The Freshmen.
* * Comcast SportsNet Chicago's PR chief Jeff Nuich has organized a special panel discussion for the Publicity Club of Chicago's monthly luncheon series, which will be taking place tomorrow, Wednesday, April 13 at Maggiano's Little Italy (516 N. Clark, Chicago) beginning at 11:30am. The event entitled "How Chicago Sports Teams Build Brand Loyalty" will feature a panel that is scheduled to include the PR directors from the Chicago White Sox (Scott Reifert), Chicago Bulls (Sebrina Brewster), Chicago Blackhawks (Brandon Faber) and Chicago Cubs (Jason Carr). The panel discussion will be moderated by CSN & WGN's David Kaplan. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit this link HERE
* * Look out kiddies! The Internet is now a little more ghoulish... Chicago's favorite horror movie host, Svengoolie, just launched his very own website, appropriately enough called Svengoolie.com
! On the new website, there is now (or coming very soon) Sven's blog, a photo gallery, video gallery, fan forum, store, games & downloads page, and much more. Virtual rubber chickens not included.
* * This Sunday night on WERV-FM/95.9 The River, "The Rockin' 80's" will make its premiere at 9:00pm. The show hosted by Zander will NOT be the nationally syndicated show with the same name & host. This will be a specially customized local version, done just for WERV-FM. The program will be much closer to the the original "Rock of the 80's" show that Zander launched on WCKG-FM in 1997.
* * While some people spend their 80s retired and taking it easy, WGN-AM's Milt Rosenberg works even harder and has the positive results to show for it. According to the most recent Arbitron ratings, Milt Rosenberg's "Extension 720" show, which airs from 10:00pm-Midnight ranked #2 with 8.0 share in the all ages numbers for his time slot. (Those numbers are taken from days when the show was not preempted by Blackhawks broadcasts, to be fair.) Not only that, but out of the top 30 downloaded podcasts on the WGN-AM website last month, 25 of them were Milt Rosenberg and his "Extension 720" podcasts. In total, Rosenberg's popular podcasts have been downloaded more than 100,000 times. Not bad for a gentleman who turns 86 years old on Friday! Milt Rosenberg is showing that his best years are happening now and quite possibly, still ahead of him.