Published on Wednesday, 01 June 2011 16:44
In today's News & Notes, we take a look at many new local media stories, including: Wendy Snyder & Bill Leff reuniting this week, WTMX-FM partying in the park again, the sad passing of Ronna Davis, a speaking engagement for Mike Nowak, a new radio job for Alexx Dupri, take a cruise with Trey the Choklit Jok, shoot a round of golf with Big John Howell & Amy Jacobson, WMVP-AM is looking for the right woman, WLUP-FM goes back to a southside ball game, and Sky Daniels goes back to college radio. All this is just below.
* * Chicago Radio veterans Wendy Snyder and Bill Leff are back together for one week only! The former morning duo from WKQX-FM and night talkers on WLUP-FM are re-teaming to fill in on the Chicago-based, nationally-syndicated talk show "The Kevin Trudeau Show." Unlike Trudeau's more serious program, Snyder & Leff will be doing what comes naturally to them, which is hilarious talk about any everyday subject that comes to their comedic minds. General Manger of the KT Radio Network, Matt DuBiel, re-paired the funny radio partners for a special week of shows. "The Kevin Trudeau Show" is heard locally on WJJD-AM, but shows, including Tuesday & Wednesday's Wendy & Bill show, can be heard on Trudeau's website, at this link HERE
. Snyder continues to work on WLS-AM's "Don Wade and Roma" show and her own regular podcast
, while Leff continues to do fill-in work for WGN-AM.
* * WTMX-FM is once again bringing "Party in the Park Thursdays" back to The Plaza at Park Grill at Millennium Park, starting tomorrow afternoon. The weekly, live music event is completely free and open to anybody ages 21 and over. Each Thursday from June 2nd through September 1st, a pair of well-known Chicago bands will perform one hour sets, with one starting at 4:00pm and the other starting at 5:30pm. Top local artists such as Dot Dot Dot, The Handcuffs, The Fold, 7th Heaven and Todd Carey are scheduled to appear. The artist line-up and more details can be found on WTMX-FM's website at this link HERE
* * Sad news to report. Condolences go out to the family, current & past co-workers and many friends of Ronna Davis, who passed away this past Sunday at the too-young age of 57. Ms. Davis was a behind-the-scenes veteran of Chicago radio, having worked at WSCR-AM from 2002-2004, Newsweb/Nine-FM from 2004-2008, and WMVP-AM since 2009. She was not an on-air personality, but worked as a Traffic/Continuity Director for the station's sales & advertising departments. Prior to joining WSCR-AM, she was the Operations Director for Davis-Glick Productions for almost 15 years, which handled radio advertising, among many other forms of commercial work. Funeral services will be private for family only. A memorial service for her friends, co-workers and loved ones is being planned for later this month, details of which, when finalized, will be passed on here.
* * Mike Nowak -- columnist for Chicagoland Gardening Magazine, weekend host on WCPT-AM/FM and former weekend host on WGN-AM -- will be speaking at Spring Bluff Nursery (41W130 Norris Rd., Sugar Grove, IL) this Saturday, June 4th, from 11:00am-12:30pm. He will be talking about the fun side of gardening. The event is open to the public and completely free, although the Nursery is asking that visitors bring canned good items, which will be collected and then donated to local food pantries.
* * Congratulations to Chicago radio veteran Alexx Dupri. The former personality for WGCI-FM, WKSC-FM, and WPWX-FM has been hired as the new midday personality at Richmond, VA's WKJM-FM/WKJS-FM, known locally in Richmond as "99.3 and 105.7, Kiss FM." (Richmond's Kiss-FM is not a CHR station like Chicago's Kiss-FM, but closer in format to Chicago's V103.) She has also worked in Detroit, MI and Orlando, FL over her long radio career. Dupri, a Chicago native and Columbia College Chicago graduate, has been searching for a permanent radio job since being among many cut from Power 92 at the very end of December 2009.
* * Speaking of Power 92... Alexx Dupri's former co-host from WPWX-FM, Trey the Choklit Jok will be having his "Trey The Choklit Jok Birthday Cruise 2011" taking place on November 6th-13th. The cruise will be to the Mexican Riviera, with stops in Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and more. Joining Power 92's Trey on the cruise will be comedian Lil' Rell and music by DJ Pharris. The cruise is being handled by Serenity Luxury Travel, which can be reached at 773-846-8875.
* * Coming this Monday afternoon will be WIND-AM's Big John and Amy's "Tee Party" 2011. Unlike recent "Tea Parties," this event is not about political posturing. This is a "Tee Party" -- as in golf tee. Big John and Amy's third annual "Tee Party" on June 6th is a charity golf outing at the Elgin Country Club, with the proceeds going to benefit A Ray of Hope on Earth. Joining some golfers will be special guest Chicago Bears players -- both past & present -- including Otis Wilson, Earl Bennett, Corey Wootton and Caleb Hanie. Big John Howell and Amy Jacobson will be broadcasting their WIND-AM morning show live from the Elgin Country Club that morning, with the golf event starting a little later at Noon. There will be prizes & raffles for those in attendance. More details can be found HERE
* * WMVP-AM is looking for Chicago's best female sports fan for the title of "Ms. She-Cago." ESPN 1000 listeners and asked to write in 50 words or less why a local woman should be "Ms. She-Cago" and send it to
. Once a week through June, WMVP-AM midday hosts Waddle & Silvy will select four names from the group of submissions. Fans can then vote on those four each week on ESPNChicago.com. After four weeks, the four finalists will compete in a Chicago sports trivia contest on Waddle & Silvy's show to see who the winner is. Each finalist will win Chicago Sky tickets, while the winner will receive a pair of Chicago Sky 2011 season tickets and a trip for two to the 2012 ESPY's in Los Angeles, CA. Details can found HERE
. (ESPN 1000's Sarah Spain is not eligible.)
* * WLUP-FM and the Chicago White Sox are doing a summer promotion together by having "Loop Nights" at the southside ballpark. The White Sox had a "Loop Night" in July 1979 that... um... did not go so well for the club
. More than likely, things will go much smoother this year, since thousands of disco albums will not be blown up in the middle of the field. On the evening of June 9th, when the Chicago White Sox take on the Oakland Athletics, it will be the first of three "Loop Nights" at U.S. Cellular Field. Fans of WLUP-FM can purchase tickets to the game for only $9.79 each. Seats are in a special Loop section, located in the Upper Reserve areas. Tricia, the new Loop Rock Girl will be on hand to cheer for the home team with the Loyal Loopers. Tickets and more information can be found HERE
* * Former Chicago radio DJ/Program Director for WLUP-FM, as well as programmer for the original Nine-FM tri-cast, Sky Daniels is going back to college... sort of. He has been named as the new Program Director for the non-profit, public radio station of California State University - Northridge, KCSN-FM. The AAA-formatted college radio station is located just north of Los Angeles, and covers much of Los Angeles County.