Published on Wednesday, 27 July 2011 19:21
In today's News & Notes, we have stories involving: Kiss-FM's Special K & DJ de la Chapelle's new website, Q101's Tim Virgin's new podcasts; NBC5's Mike Adamle's new contract, WBBM-AM's Bart Shore's new exhibit, WCIU's Svengoolie's new appearance, Steve Dahl making another radio guest appearance, WLS-AM's new two-week show, and WLS-TV's Judy Hsu and WBBM-AM's Pat Cassidy emcee a big event. All of the details are just below.
* * WKSC-FM evening personality Scott "Special K" Corchin and WKSC-FM weekend night mix contributor DJ Clayton de la Chapelle have started up a new website called 10sixty
. Each week, the duo will put out ten videos, each sixty seconds long (thus the reason for the name "10sixty"), covering current events, new music, and doing quick comedy bits. The first series of ten videos are posted up as of today.
* * Former WKQX-FM afternoon personality Tim Virgin is not ready to sit quietly by, waiting for a new radio opportunity to arise. He has taken to podcasting. His first two podcasts -- a quick intro and a look at the "27 Club" -- were posted up today and can be found at this link HERE
* * Yesterday marked the four week anniversary (or mensiversary, to be linguistically accurate) of the last column in the Chicago Sun-Times by gossip & opinion columnist Michael Sneed. She has not had her work appear in the newspaper since Tuesday, June 28th
. Sneed has not been released from the newspaper, though. There is no public word from the newspaper as to why the columnist is away for an extended break.
* * According to media writer Robert Feder today
, WMAQ-TV has upped veteran Chicago sport anchor Mike Adamle to full-time status, up from part-time. He fills the void left from the passing of WMAQ-TV sports anchor Daryl Hawks
. Adamle is a former NFL running back, who ended his professional football career with the Chicago Bears in 1977. He has been a local and national sports broadcaster ever since.
* * Bart Shore is well-known around Chicago as being the premier traffic reporter
on the top-rated radio morning show on WBBM-AM, as well as a well-regarded Classic Rock DJ on his own Internet radio show, Time Warp Radio
. What many people do not know is that Bart Shore is also a first-class photographer. After years of being an amateur "shutterbug," Shore has been asked to display some of his work at an event this weekend. His new photograph exhibit, part of a larger exhibit called "Reframing Ruin: A Prelude to The Bloomingdale Trail," will be on display at the Milwaukee Ave Arts Festival
in Logan Square (2644 N. Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago). Shore's photographs, taken from the WBBM-AM helicopter, show the old Bloomingdale rail lines on Chicago's northwest side. Bart Shore will personally be there to discuss his work on opening night, this Friday, from 7:00pm-11:00pm, and again on Saturday from Noon-2:30pm.
* * Chicago's favorite TV movie host, Svengoolie, will be making a special live appearance at the Cyphan 2 convention
on Saturday. Cyphan 2 is the big Chicago science fiction, fantasy and horror convention/celebration that is going on at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare (9300 Bryn Mawr Avenue in Rosemont, IL) from July 29-31. Svengoolie will be appearing there on Saturday morning only, from 10:00am-Noon, posing for photographs, signing autographs, and laughing at everybody's bad Berwyn jokes.
* * Steve Dahl continues to make the media rounds, now that he is free from the constraints of his past CBS Radio contract and is looking to promote his new paid podcast plan
. This weekend, Steve Dahl will spend a couple of hours on David Hochberg's "Townstone Financial Show,"
when the show airs this Saturday from 1:00pm-3:00pm on WIND-AM. Dahl is returning the favor to Hochberg, who has appeared as a guest on Dahl's radio & podcast shows numerous times over the years and has been a longtime sponsor of Dahl's work. Also appearing as a guest to discuss real estate & mortgages, will be the wife of WIND-AM's Geoff Pinkus, Kathy Pinkus, who is a top Realtor
with Re/Max of Barrington.
* * WLS-AM, along with Washington, DC sister station WMAL-AM, will air "The Rassmussen Report" on Sunday August 31st, and another episode on the following Sunday August 7th, both at 2:00pm. The show is a two-weekend test run for Scott Rasmussen, the President of online political poll company Rasmussen Reports. Rasmussen has been a controversial figure
, as his polls have been found to have a conservative bias and have been proven sometimes inaccurate due to this. Rasmussen, a former Republican party campaign consultant, was also a founder of ESPN. Not only are the Citadel-owned WLS-AM and WMAL-AM sharing this new show, they also happen to share the same programmer, Operations Director Drew Hayes.
* * The National Association for Business Resources (NABR) will be holding its annual celebration of good workplaces, the "Chicago's 101 Best and Brightest Companies to Work For." The awards luncheon for all of the 2011 winners will take place next Monday, August 1st at the Chicago Marriott Oak Brook (1401 W. 22nd Street, Oak Brook, IL), starting at 11:00am. The emcees for the ceremony will be WLS-TV's Judy Hsu and WBBM-AM's Pat Cassidy. More information and a list of this year's winners can be found HERE