- Published on Wednesday, 12 October 2011 15:08
In today's News & Notes, we look at local media stories, including: a surprise exit for Jill Urchak, a happy time for Rob Hart, happy news for Angie Zdanowski, Lenny McAllister searches for new opportunities, Delilah needs help painting Waukegan, Sylwester Skora needs your vote, Drew Walker turns Maverick, Rick O'Dell brunching with Jim Peterik, and Jay Beau Jones is a free agent once again. Details can all be read just below...
* * Unfortunately for the employees at WWWN-FM, aka FM News 101.1, the confusion and the firings seems to only be getting worse. In addition to the shock of the recent firing of Dave Williams
, WWWN-FM management today fired another on-air voice. This time it was Chicago veteran Jill Urchak who was informed her services where no longer needed at the station. Despite a tremendous amount of potential when it started in late July, the new news station has yet to find solidify its direction of achieve any of its potential. This has led to a great deal of uneasiness within the station walls, as employees are being cut due to Merlin Media's confusion as to just how to program the station. Jill Urchak now joins other Chicago radio veterans "on the beach" and like those others, is actively looking for her next opportunity.
* * There be another voice missing from WWWN-FM for the next two weeks, but this time, for a much
nicer reason. On Saturday, morning news anchor Rob Hart will be getting married to his longtime girlfriend Cathy, and then heading off on a two-week tropical honeymoon. Best wishes to the happy couple!
* * Congratulations to Angie Zdanowski, the Marketing and Promotions Coordinator for Clear Channel Radio Chicago. This past weekend, she became engaged to her boyfriend Brandon. Love is in the air in Chicago radio!
* * Lenny McAllister, the former WVON-AM star who recently joined up with GlobalNewsForum.com
, has already exited the Internet radio website as of this week. According to a close source, the GNF site was unable to support McAllister's daily show in a way that worked for all involved. McAllister continues to be a regular contributor to CNN on weekend mornings and is pursuing other opportunities for his radio work.
* * As first mentioned HERE
in a News & Notes at the start of September, syndicated radio show host Delilah, whose show is heard locally on WLIT-FM each weeknight, has an annual event called "Paint The Town," where she picks one town in need and helps refurbish its downtown area with fresh paint and supplies. For her third annual "Paint The Town" event, she has selected north suburban Waukegan, IL as the town she and many volunteers will help spruce up. The event will take place starting this coming Saturday morning, but it still needs more volunteers to help with the painting for various shifts. Those interested in meeting Delilah and donating some time for the cause can sign up at this page HERE
* * Sylwester Skora, the 21 year veteran of Chicago Polish news & talk radio, heard each weekday afternoon on Oak Park's WPNA-AM, is running for office. No he's not the latest to throw his hat into the ring for US President. He is attempting to win a seat in Poland's Parliament. Chicago's massive Polish population can vote in the Polish elections this Saturday at the Polish Consulate, as well as in Polish churches and other select locations around Chicagoland.
* * WUSN-FM's afternoon star Drew Walker will stepping out Saturday night. Walker, along with the US99.5 Rewards team, will be making an appearance at the Chicago area's newest Country nightclub, Mavericks. Walker & US99.5 will be at the establishment, located at 2061 W Maple Ave (at Routes 176 and 83/60) in Mundelein, starting at 9:00pm. Walker will giving away tickets to see George Jones to some lucky winners. Bring in a new, unwrapped toy for Toys for Tots and get entry for no cover charge.
* * This Sunday will be another Smooth 87.7 Sunday Brunch live remote with Rick O'Dell. It will again be at the Parrot Cage restaurant, located at the South Shore Cultural Center (7059 S South Shore Drive, Chicago) from 10:00am-2:00pm. Joining Rick O'Dell at this special remote will be famed Chicago musician Jim Peterik and his Smooth Jazz group Lifeforce. The band will be performing a few songs from their newest CD, "Forces at Play." To make a reservation for the Smooth 87.7 Sunday Brunch, call 773-602-5333. Of course, for those unable to make it, it will all be heard live on the air on WLFM.
* * Former Chicago radio programmer Jay Beau Jones is looking for a new job now. After a little under four years working as PD in Boston, MA at WODS-FM & WBMX-FM, Jones is out. From 1998-2002, Jay Beau Jones was the Program Director for WUBT-FM, which became WKSC-FM while he was the PD there.