- Published on Wednesday, 16 November 2011 16:04
Today's News & Notes has a whole bunch of quick media news items, including: WGN-TV puts Tom Skilling on your phone, Jan Jeffcoat spends the winter getting ready for her new baby, Dick Johnson hosts a charity fundraiser, the comedians from WGN Morning News get ready to make with the jokes, ICB holds another Career Day with some special guests, Columbia College recreates some classic live radio shows, WMVP-AM's Dave Juday and Fred Huebner get "Charleyhorses," Houli does a book signing, Smooth 87.7 serves up a new brunch, WJJG-AM has an app for you, WLJE-FM wins a pair of awards, CBS Radio hires a new Chicago executive, WTMX-FM & WILV-FM get ready to kick off the holiday season with a party, and WLS-AM's Roe & Roeper have a holiday party of their own planned. All this and more is just below...
* * WGN-TV has released a full-featured weather app with the information from the WGN Chicago Weather Center for Apple's iPhone/iPad/iPod and Google's Android platforms. The weather app will have the always-updated forecasts and weather conditions reports. The "WGN-TV Chicago Weather Center app" can be downloaded for free from HERE
* * Congratulations to WFLD-TV news anchor Jan Jeffcoat. It was announced today that she and her husband, Matthew Kingsley, President & CEO of talent agency 3 Kings Entertainment, are expecting a baby girl in the spring. There had been questions about a "baby bump" from some viewers over the last couple of weeks. Today's announcement makes it all official and removes those questions. Word of the pregnancy was first passed by Jan Jeffcoat's WFLD-TV co-worker Bill Zwecker in his Chicago Sun-Times column today
* * WMAQ-TV anchor & reporter Dick Johnson will once again be the host of Shelter Inc.'s 24th annual Charity Ball, this year with the theme: "Puttin' on the Glitz." The fundraising event will be held this Friday night at the Hyatt Regency Woodfield's Grand Ballroom (1800 E. Golf Road, Schaumburg). Shelter Inc. is a nonprofit child welfare agency that provides emergency & foster care for abused and neglected youth. For more information, visit the Shelter Inc. website HERE
* * The comedians from WGN-TV's morning newscasts will be doing even more stand-up comedy this weekend at the new Comedy Shrine in Aurora (4034 Fox Valley Center Drive) on the ComedyComedy stage. On Friday night, Mike Toomey and Pat Tomasulo will take the stage at 9:00pm. The following night Toomey & Tomasulo will be joined by Ana Belaval, as they take the stage at 8:00pm. Tickets to either of the two shows with the contributors to the WGN Morning News can been reserved by calling 630-857-9658.
* * The Illinois Center for Broadcasting is holding yet another Career Day event this Saturday from 11:00am-1:00pm at their suburban campus (455 Eisenhower Lane South, Suite 200, Lombard). There will be some special guest speakers, including Zander (WRXQ-FM/WERV-FM, nationally syndicated with "The Rockin' 80's," former WLUP-FM, etc.) and Jerry Riles (CLTV, Comcast SportsNet Chicago, former WSCR-AM/WVON-AM, etc.). The ICB Career Day is free to attend. Call 630-916-1700 to reserve a seat.
* * Columbia College Chicago's students and faculty are teaming up with a few local actors to present some classic radio shows live on stage this Saturday. Audience members will be able to see performances of "The Whistler: Death Laughs Last," "Sherlock Holmes: The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire," "Inner Demons," and "Dick Spindler's Family Christmas." They will be doing two performances on Saturday -- one at 3:00pm and one at 7:00pm. The stage performances will take place at Stage 2 within Columbia College (618 South Michigan Ave, Chicago). The admission to "An Evening of Radio Theatre 2011" is free, but seating is limited. Call 312-369-8156 to reserve a seat.
* * WMVP-AM's Dave Juday and Fred Huebner will be doing a live remote this Saturday from the Charleyhorse Restaurant (9501 171st Street, Tinley Park), from 5:30pm-7:30pm. The two will be talking about the day's College Football games and previewing the following day's Bears-Chargers game, as well as giving away prizes to some of the attendees.
* * Mike Houlihan of WCEV-AM's "The Skinny and Houli Show" will be doing a book signing at Mollie's Public House (31 Forest Ave, Riverside) at 7:00pm on Saturday night. He will be telling stories and signing copies of his book "Hooliganism." Also at the event will be Chicago Jazz Magazine cartoonist Charley Krebs who will be signing cartoon posters of his. Krebs previously co-hosted "This Is Chicago Jazz" on WNTD-AM back when it featured the format of "Timeless Cool" and was known as "Avenue 950." That station also previously air Houlihan's "The Skinny and Houli Show" before it flipped formats in August 2010
* * WLFM/Smooth 87.7 will have another of their Sunday Brunch live remotes this coming Sunday morning, November 20th. For the first time ever, it will be held at Norman's Bistro (1001 E. 43rd St, Chicago) starting at 10:00am. 13 year old Smooth artist Chris Allison will be the featured live performer at the Sunday Brunch remote with program host Rick O'Dell. To reserve a spot at the brunch event, call 773-966-5821 or visit their website, HERE
* * For those out of range of WJJG-AM's signal or just want to hear the station while they are on the go, the station now has free apps for any Android or Apple platform. The new Android app can be downloaded HERE
, while the iPhone/iPod/iPad app can be downloaded from HERE
* * This past Saturday night, the Indiana Broadcasters Association held its 24th Annual Spectrum Awards, honoring excellence in Indiana radio & television. Among the winners was WLJE-FM/Indiana 105.5. The country station, which can be heard from the south side of Chicago over to South Bend, won a pair of Spectrum Awards. Graphic Designer/Web Controller Jessica Groff won first place in the category "Cross Platform Use of Radio" for a Rascal Flatts promotion. Production Director Mac MacLeod won first place in the Commercial Series category for a series of commercials produced for Calumet Park Cemetery.
* * CBS Radio has hired Sheila Fitzgerald Kirby as its new Senior Vice President of Sales Training & Development. The Chicago native will be based out of the CBS Radio Chicago offices, starting December 5th. Prior to this week's announcement, Kirby worked as the SVP Professional Development at Radio Advertising Bureau, and as SVP of Talent Development Publishing and Interactive for Tribune Company before that.
* * WTMX-FM/The Mix and WILV-FM/Rewind 100.3 are teaming up to throw a lavish party, kicking off the holiday season. The "Highest Holiday Bash" will take place at The Signature Room at the 95th, located high on top of the John Hancock Building, on Wednesday November 23rd from 6:00pm-8:00pm. The exclusive holiday party will feature premium Absolut cocktails and gourmet hors d'oeuvres, along with panoramic city views of Chicago and chances to win prizes. Tickets to this event can only be won on the websites for The Mix
or Rewind 100.3
, with the drawings taking place on this coming Friday.
* * WLS-AM's Roe & Roeper Show have set a date for their annual Toys for Tots Holiday Show. The special show will also be a live remote heard on the air from 2:00pm-6:00pm, taking place on Friday, December 2nd, and held once again at The Venue inside the Horseshoe Casino in Hammond, IN. It will feature many special guests, including music by Chicago's own The Ides of March. Tickets to the holiday event cannot be purchased, but can be won from WLS-AM. Details will be given out on Roe Conn's radio show each weekday afternoon.