- Published on Monday, 28 May 2012 15:45
The Chicago Sun-Times' newest daily feature section, entitled "The Daily Splash" made its debut in today's newspaper. The new section will appear each Monday-Friday and cover subjects such as entertainment, gossip, fashion, and society events. The Sun-Times has lined up 30 Chicago celebrities -- including famous Chicago actors, comedians, singers, musicians, politicians, sports executives, and more -- who will each rotate at writing a column for the Daily Splash section.
The Editor of the Daily Splash is Susanna Negovan, the former Chicago Sun-Times as a columnist from April 2001 to September 2008 (when she was known by maiden name of Susanna Homan, before marrying WGN-TV anchor/reporter Tom Negovan). At the start of this month, she was hired away
from her role as Editor-in-Chief of Michigan Avenue magazine, to come back to Sun-Times Media Holdings and the Chicago Sun-Times. This will be just one of the projects she oversees.
In addition to being Editor of the new Daily Splash section, Susanna Negovan will also be one of the 30 Chicago celebrities who rotate writing columns for the section.
The initial group of 30 rotating Chicago celebrity columnists and the names of their new columns are (alphabetically):
* Jim Belushi: Comedic actor - "Bull$#!&"
* Common: Rapper & actor - "Common Thoughts"
* Rohini Dey: Restauranteur - "From the Gut"
* Rahm Emanuel: Mayor of Chicago - "Da Mayor"
* Michael Ferro Jr.: Wrapports LLC Chairman - "Iron Knights"
* Lupe Fiasco: Rapper - "Rapper's Delight"
* Jaslene Gonzales: "America's Next Top Model Winner" - "Journeys"
* Buddy Guy: Highly influential blues guitarist - "Legendary Blues"
* Erin Heatherton: Victoria's Secret model - "Runway"
* Marilu Henner: Actress & health guru - "Hennergy"
* Jennifer Hudson: Singer & actress - "High Notes"
* Jim Karas: Fitness expert, author - "Karasmatic"
* Bill Kurtis: WBBM-TV news anchor - "Voice of Chicago"
* Julie Latsko: Restauranteur, interior designer - "Dish"
* Marlee Matlin: Actress - "Talk to the Hand"
* Jenny McCarthy: Comedic actress & former Playboy Playmate - "Naked Truth"
* Susanna Negovan: Former Sun-Times columnist & Michigan Avenue Editor, now Daily Splash Editor - "Susanna Says"
* Joakim Noah: Chicago Bulls center - "Centered"
* Suze Orman: Financial advisor, author, TV host - "Keeping Afloat"
* Monica Pedersen: HGTV host - "Make It Beautiful"
* Lee Phillip Bell: Soap opera creator, former Chicago TV host - "Lessons"
* Margot Pritzker: Philanthropist - "Here's An Idea"
* Giuliana Rancic: E! News host - "Real"
* Michael Reinsdorf: Chicago Bulls President - "Love of the Game"
* Denise Richards: Actress, former Mrs. Charlie Sheen - "Modern Mommy"
* Tom Ricketts: Chicago Cubs Chairman - "Home Plate"
* Gary Sinese: Actor & Steppenwolf Theatre co-founder - "Sense"
* Mark Tebbe: Lake Capital Director, Special Advisor for Merrick Ventures, digital innovator - "Tebbe on Tech"
* Pete Wentz: Fall Out Boy guitarist & Black Cards frontman - "Midwest Transplant"
* Rocky Wirtz: Chicago Blackhawks Chairman - "Uncorked"
The initial guest column appeared today
, as Gary Sinese wrote a Memorial Day column about America's military veterans. Jim Belushi's first column will appear in tomorrow's Sun-Times.
Each of the columnists will be paid $1,000 for their columns. All of the celebrity guest columnists are donating that $1,000 fee to a charity of their choosing.
Starting later this summer, the weekday Daily Splash will have a larger weekend wrap-up section, entitled the Sunday Splash, featuring the best parts of the past week and more.
The brand new Daily Splash section is part of Wrapports' and Sun-Times Media Holdings' strategic vision to make Sun-Times companies more "credible, colorful and charitable." This is the first of numerous new sections, magazines, features, and give-aways coming soon to the Chicago Sun-Times, many of which were revealed late last week
show the Chicago Sun-Times as Chicagoland's #1 newspaper and #9 in the country. The new ownership of the Chicago Sun-Times has taken on the lofty of goal greatly increasing circulation and becoming #1 in the nation.