- Published on Tuesday, 16 March 2010 11:57
It is a supersized News & Notes today (with an explanation why at the end). Today we look at St. Patrick's Day broadcasts for WXRT/WKQX/WLUP, a new WGN app, a new promotion for WSCR's Boers & Bernstein, a new golf show on WSCR weekends, a WLS-FM charity radiothon, a Columbia College movie screening & discussion, fans rallying for Bonnie Hunt, the Versus Network rallying back to DirecTV, B96's Ben Ponzio trying to win at cards, Shadow/Metro's Jen DeSalvo trying to win at running for charity; JBTV down at SXSW this week, and more.
* * Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day and Chicago radio is celebrating. One station especially is going all out as they do almost every year. WXRT will be doing their annual feature "Shamrock & Roll." Throughout the day, they will be playing artists from the Emerald Isle. From 6:00pm-8:00pm will be their annual "Shamrock & Roll Live Broadcast." This year, the live party will be broadcasting from Mystic Celt (3443 N Southport Ave, Chicago) with live music from Company of Thieves and Matisyahu (because nothing makes one feel more Irish than an Orthodox Jew singing Reggae-Rap).
* * Q101's Tim Virgin will be getting his Irish up tomorrow, too! First Tim will be at Sam Maguire's, located at 39 Orland Square Drive in Orland Park (right across from the Orland Square Mall) from 11:00am until 1:00pm. After filling up on some tasty Irish food, beverages and music there, Tim hustles over to his next stop. From 3:00pm-7:00pm, Tim Virgin will be doing his Q101 show live from Ballydoyle Irish Pub & Restaurant, located at 152 Stratford Square Mall in Bloomingdale's Stratford Square Mall (between JC Penney & the Burlington Coat Factory). There will be Irish food, Irish dancers, prizes and more at this live remote.
* * After Tim Virgin leaves Orland Park to head to his live remote, WLUP's Eddie Webb takes over. Eddie will be doing a live remote from Sam Maguire's in the Orland Square Shopping Center from 3:00pm-7:00pm. He will have plenty of Loop Chi-rish t-shirts, courtesy of Miller Lite, to give away to those who come out to rock with him.
* * WGN has a new cell phone app for Android phones. I downloaded it this morning for my Droid and it works & sounds excellent. (Although the first thing I saw was Jim Laski's face, as he was in for John Williams again this morning. That wasn't a nice way to start.) The streaming and the podcasts load pretty much instantly. To download to your Android-run phone, simply search in the Marketplace for "WGN" and it will be the only app that comes up.
* * Forget about the NCAA Tournaments... Today kicks off Boers & Bernstein's "Tournament of Bad." The annual event pits one annoying person/subject/item/event against another, until one is crowned the worst of the year. To play along, use the printable brackets at this link HERE
* * Speaking of new things at WSCR, a new program will be debuting on WSCR-AM this Saturday morning. Replacing two hours of Sporting News Radio programming will be "The Score Card," a golf program hosted by WSCR weekender & Columbia College instructor Steve Olken, alongside Crain's Chicago Business Sports Media & Golf writer Ed Sherman. The show will air each Saturday morning from 6:00am-8:00am. Tiger returns to the Masters and a Golf show returns to The Score. Synchronicity?
* * This Saturday afternoon, WLS-FM 94.7 will be doing an all-day radiothon for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. From Noon until 7:00pm, all of the WLS-FM personalities will be on the air, sharing stories of some of the Wish Kids & their families, and accepting donations. Dave Fogel, Maura Myles, Greg Brown and the living legend, Dick Biondi will all be part of the radiothon.
* * The critically acclaimed documentary "A Chemical Reaction: The Story of a True Green Revolution," will be screened at Columbia College Chicago on this coming Saturday from 3:00pm-5:00pm. The film deals with the extreme use of home & garden pesticides and lawn chemicals, and the dangers to children's health & the environment from that use. After the film screening, there will be a panel discussion featuring several experts, including WCPT weekend host, Mike Nowak. The screening & discussion will be at the Columbia College Ferguson Auditorium (600 S. Michigan, Chicago) for a suggested donation of $10. (Free for Columbia College students.) To reserve a seat call 773-878-7378, ext. 203.
* * Not that it will probably help much at this point, but fans of the now-canceled "Bonnie Hunt Show" are doing a rally to try and convince Warner Brothers to keep the show around for another season. The rally will be held in Bonnie's hometown of Chicago (which is two-thirds of the United States away
from the Warner Brothers headquarters) this Saturday the 20th, from 11:30am-1:30pm, in front of Gate F, outside of Wrigley Field. Rally organizers have specific directions for how to dress and how to make the rally signs look. For all of the rally details, click on this link HERE
* * As of this week, the Comcast-owned sports channel Versus is back on DirecTV. It was one of the longest ever blackouts over a carriage dispute, which kept the network off of the satellite broadcaster for almost seven months, but the two sides have finally reached an agreement. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed. Versus, best known for its NHL season & playoff coverage, along with UFC coverage, cycling events, and smaller conference college football games (not to mention, an exceptional amount of infomercials), was taken down after DirecTV and Comcast failed to reach a new carriage agreement. This return should come as a relief to DirecTV users who are Blackhawks fans, as the NHL postseason rapidly approaches.
* * WBBM-FM's General Sales Manager, Ben Ponzio knows more than just how to make sales happen for B96. He knows his Texas Hold 'Em Poker, as well. In 2007, he won a World Series of Poker bracelet. In 2008, Ben finished 5th in Event 40 of the 2008 WSOP. He also finished 10th in Event 50 in the 2009 WSOP. Now, in 2010, he is looking to get back to the top, but he needs our help. The World Series of Poker is having a Tournament of Champions all-star event in June that is open to all past bracelet winners, but in order to participate, he needs to be one of the top 20 vote getters on the WSOP website. To help him out, here is what has to be done: First, visit this link HERE
. Then, register your email address and you will quickly receive a code in your email's inbox. Enter that code on the WSOP link
and vote for Ben Ponzio. Assuming he makes it in, Ben will be one of only 27 players competing for one million dollars on ESPN at the World Series of Poker. If he wins the million, Ben is promising to donate 5% of it to the Sheridan-Carroll Food Pantry in Chicago. Help a Chicago radio brother out!
* * Jen DeSalvo, the traffic & news reporter for Chicago's Shadow/Metro has been running marathons for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's "Team In Training" group for three years. Her goal for 2010 is to log 1000 miles in running, but to also run 100 miles in races with Team in Training. She has also set a fundraising goal of at least $5000 in donations for cancer research. To help achieve these goals, she has a couple of webpages set up, one on Facebook at this link HERE
, and one on the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Illinois Chapter website at this link HERE
. Help a Chicago radio sister out and donate a little something for a good cause!
* * Just as an informational note, the reason this News & Notes is longer than usual is because it may be the last one for the week. There will also be limited News articles posted up after today, as I will be enjoying some fine music (and temperatures) down in Austin, TX at the annual South by SouthWest Music Conference, each afternoon & evening for the rest of this week. If any CRM readers are down at SXSW, drop me an email or Facebook message and perhaps we can meet up for a drink, some music, or a slice of Death Metal Pizza! Also, Chicago's JBTV will be holding a three day music fest (Thursday-Saturday) at the Trophy Room on Austin's 6th Street featuring all Chicago artists, and hosted by Ryan Manno. Details can be found HERE