Published on Sunday, 28 March 2010 15:27
In today's News & Notes, we look at bribery happening at WTMX, WLS' Roe Conn & Richard Roeper get together early, Steve Dahl celebrates another milestone, Roxanne Steele gets chatty, WCPT & Bill Press talk campaigns, and WBEZ & Jerome McDonnell hold an Expo to make a difference. It is all just below:
* * Starting tomorrow, it's the "9 to 5 Bribe." Is this a new Jim Laski promotion for WGN? Nope... It's the new WTMX promotion, where they are openly & blatantly bribing people to listen. Starting Monday, March 29th and continuing on through Friday, April 30th, The Mix will be giving away $500 each hour between 9:00am & 5:00pm, each weekday. A total of 75 $500 prizes will be given out (costing the station $37,500) during the contest period. Station personalities will inform the listening audience how to win each hour. It could as simple as being caller #x at 312-591-6800, texting to 60123, changing your Facebook status to say something about WTMX or tweeting a particular comment on Twitter. The bribing begins tomorrow at 9:00am, and unlike other bribery scandals that have been talked about recently, this one is all legal.
* * "The Roe Conn Show with Richard Roeper" may not officially begin on WLS-AM until April 12th, but the Roe & Roeper team were together already on Friday morning! Richard Roeper was on WBBM-TV's "Monsters and Money in the Morning" early Friday morning, promoting his new book, when a special "waiter" appeared. You can see the video of the fun at this link HERE
* * Congratulations goes out to Chicago radio legend Steve Dahl and his whole podcasting crew. Yesterday, his daily DahlCast
passed the 2,000,000 download mark! Dahl, who is still under contract with CBS Radio and partners with them for his daily podcasts, started doing these Internet/iTunes-only shows just over six months ago.
* * Immediately on the heels of the big announcement that she was exiting as the popular afternoon host of Fresh 105.9, Roxanne Steele has a brand new & improved website, RoxanneSteele.com
. In addition to information about herself and her blogs, she now has the "Roxy Chats" on the site. This allows fans to periodically have direct, instant chat time with the personality herself. (Follow her on Twitter
or become a fan on Facebook
to find out when the chats occur.)
* * WCPT-AM & -FM is bringing their early morning host, Bill Press to town for a special live event called "Bill Press Live: Campaigns Uncovered." Press & WCPT will be screening the 1972 classic film, "The Candidate" starring Robert Redford, which will be followed by a discussion on just what it really takes to run a political campaign in the U.S. with Bill Press, along with veteran political consultants Kitty Kurth and Kevin Lampe. The movie & discussion takes place on Thursday April 15th at the Music Box Theatre (3733 N. Southport Ave., Chicago) at 7:00pm. Tickets are $15. There is also a "VIP Ticket" for $35 that also includes an advanced "Meet & Greet" with Bill Press at 5:30pm. (Members of the WCPT email list can get a $3.00 discount on all tickets.) Tickets can be purchased at this link HERE
* * Chicago Public Radio is presenting the Global Activism Expo 2010 on April 17th at the UIC Forum (725 W. Roosevelt Rd, Chicago). It will be hosted by Jerome McDonnell, host of WBEZ's Worldview. The annual event will feature over 100 Chicago-area Global Activists presenting examples of how one one person can make a genuine difference for the planet. It will also feature a performance stage, food, Goose Island beer, complimentary soda and water, and much more. This one-of-a-kind event is free, as well. WBEZ reported that over 3,500 people attended the Expo last year. More information and a list of presentations can be found HERE