Published on Wednesday, 12 May 2010 01:30
In this morning's News & Notes: Bob Sirott fills-in, Greg Jarrett heads north, Doug Banks throws a birthday bash, Sam Sylk throws a bash of his own, WLFM wants to get creamy, David Schuster & Steve Leventhal find a new home, Norman Goldman temporarily skips a visit, and Betty White delivers both big laughs & ratings. It's all just below.
* * WGN-AM's Greg Jarrett is out of the state today, so veteran Chicago media star Bob Sirott will be filling in for the morning show from 5:00am-9:00am.
* * Speaking of Greg Jarrett and WGN, he will be broadcasting live from Libertyville this coming Friday morning. As part of the "WGN Radio Hometown Voices" tour, WGN-AM will be doing a remote from the Libertyville Civic Center (135 W. Church St., Libertyville) from 5:00am-9:00am. There is no charge to come watch the show, but the tiny Civic Center room will only hold around 80 people at a time, so space is limited.
* * Next month, V103's Doug Banks is having a birthday. More than that, Banks is having a birthday party. Even more than that, everybody is invited to this huge birthday bash! The "Doug Banks Birthday Jam" will take place June 19th at the Venue inside of the Horseshoe Casino (777 Casino Center Drive, Hammond, IN). The night will be hosted by WVAZ's Joe Soto and Ramonski Luv. Spinning the turntables will be local legends and former radio personalities, Scott "Smokin'" Silz, Maurice "Ice" Culpepper, Kenny "Jammin'" Jason, and Boolumaster. Tickets are only $20 and on sale now at the Venue's box office or at Ticketmaster at this link HERE
* * Doug Banks' birthday party isn't the only party coming soon, either. Coming Memorial Day weekend is the "Sam Sylk's Pink Carpet Gemini Birthday Affair -- The Pink & White Holiday Soiree." Power 92's afternoon personality, Sam Sylk will be hosting a big party (with a very long name) on Sunday, May 30th at The Marmon Grand Ballroom (2230 S. Michigan Ave., Chicago), starting at 9:00pm. Music spun by DJ Vince Adams & DJ G-Spot. Special celebrity guests are supposedly coming, as well. To purchase tickets, call 773-449-7659.
* * "Booth Reviews," the movie review blog by Chicago sports talkers David Schuster & Steve Leventhal, has a new home. Their film (and sometimes TV) reviews can now be found on the Tribune-owned blogsite, ChicagoNow at this link HERE
* * 87.7 FM, Chicago's Smooth Jazz station needs listeners' help in choosing what will become the "87.7FM Chicago's Smooth Jazz Flavor" at Marble Slab Creamery. Listeners are asked to stop by the Marble Slab Creamery located at 1241 S. Michigan Ave. in Chicago and try one or more of the five flavors that are being considered for the new WLFM Flavor. The five creamy contenders are:
- Almond Joy: Double Dark Chocolate Ice Cream with Almonds & Coconut
- Birthday Bonanza: Birthday Cake Ice Cream with Gummy Bears & Assorted Sprinkles
- Raspberry Cheesecake: Cheesecake Ice Cream with Raspberries & Graham Crackers
- Strawberries 'N Cream: Sweet Cream Ice Cream with Two Scoops of Strawberries
- White Chocolate Raspberry Swirl: White Chocolate Ice Cream with Raspberries, Almonds and Caramel
Once your decision is made, visit the 87.7 Smooth Jazz website and vote at this link HERE
* * Norman Goldman, from WCPT's syndicated show, the aptly named "Norman Goldman Show," was set to come to Chicago this week. The plan was for Goldman to do his show live from the WCPT studios and then do a meet & greet with advertisers & fans. Unfortunately, due to what he calls "circumstances beyond our control," the scheduled trip to the Windy City was canceled. The date & event will be rescheduled and announced in the next week or two. Goldman is on a kind of nationwide tour of stations that have picked up his show since it launched last September.
* * Betty White, America's favorite 88 year old, is more than just a comedic powerhouse; she is a ratings powerhouse, too. Last Saturday evening's showing of NBC's Saturday Night Live, which was hosted by the Oak Park, IL native, was the overwhelming ratings winner. Nationwide, the May 8th show pulled in an 8.8 rating/21 share in the metered markets. SNL with Ms. White was the #1 rated show of the entire night, doubling the #2 telecast, which was the NBA Playoffs on ABC, pulling in a 4.4 rating/8 share. Here in Chicago, the numbers were just as impressive, as it also was Chicago's #1 television show during that time period. The numbers looked like this:
Adults 18-34 - 5.8 rating/27 share
Adults 18-49 - 9.2 rating/33 share
Adults 25-54 - 11.4 rating/37 share
We should all be as popular and loved when we turn 88 years old!