Published on Friday, 28 May 2010 20:48
In tonight's News & Notes, we look at a high honor for Chicago's Herb Kent & E. Rodney Jones, a high honor for WLFM's Paul Wertigo, a debut for the Sun-Times' Thomas Conner, even more work for Jane Monzures, a debut for DanceHitzz.com, and a relaunch for 1ClubFM.com.
* * This Sunday, May 30th, two giants of Chicago radio are being inducted into the Broadcasters Hall of Fame: Herb Kent and E Rodney Jones. V103's Herb Kent is of course, the record holder for the longest working man in radio (65 years & counting) and a living legend. Former WVON personality E Rodney Jones was a longtime radio DJ (one of the original "Good Guys"), who also cut his fair share of R&B records. Both of them will be honored this weekend. (Jones passed away in 2004, so his daughter with accept the award in his honor.) The event will take place at the Club Eagle Arena (4829 W. 77th St, Burbank), with the doors opening at 7:00pm. The Chi-Lites, the Dells, Jerry "Iceman" Butler, Gene Chandler, Otis Clay and others are expected to attend. It will hosted by comedian Uncle Rail, with speeches by WVAZ personalities and Chicago media celebrities. There is limited room still available. Those interested in attending can contact Margaret Dorris-Laye at 708-833-9245.
* * Congratulations go out to WLFM weekend host, Grammy Award winning drummer, head of the Roosevelt University Jazz program, and full-time Chicagoan, Paul Wertico. Last weekend, he was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award for Drumming and Education by the Cape Breton International Drum Festival in Nova Scotia, Canada. "Paul Wertico's Wild World of Jazz" radio show airs each Sunday on 87.7 Chicago's Smooth Jazz from 9:00pm-11:00pm.
* * For those who may have missed it, the Chicago Sun-Times' new Pop Music critic/columnist, Thomas Conner, made his debut in today's paper. You can read his introductory column at this link HERE
* * As mentioned in a previous News & Notes
on this site, former WLUP personality, Jane "Sweet Baby Jane" Monzures, has a new job as a blogger on WCIU's website and segment host on "You & Me This Morning." It turns out, she much more new work to mention than just that. In addition to her WCIU work, which will be every Wednesday morning, she now will also be seen doing segments on the new health & lifestyle show, "Living Healthy Chicago." "LHC" can be seen on WGN each Sunday at 11:30am, with numerous repeats throughout the weekend and week on CLTV. All of this in addition to her recently finishing shooting a reality show
and her working on her own fashion and jewelry lines
. She is keeping extremely busy this year!
* * Also mentioned in that previous News & Notes
was the demise of the Internet radio station, iPartyRadio. That dance station may be gone, but a brand new Chicago-based Internet dance station has started up today. DanceHitzz.com
launched this afternoon with a very similar format, playing current dance hits and remixed pop songs. They have been added to the links on the CRM Streaming Radio page
in place of iPartyRadio.com.
* * Speaking of Chicago-based Internet radio stations, one the biggest of them all, 1ClubFM.com has completely revamped & improved their website. You can check out all of their stations at this link HERE
, as well as from the CRM Streaming Radio page