- Published on Saturday, 25 March 2017 17:15
As previously reported here
, WCPT-AM/FM, aka Chicago's Progressive Talk, released afternoon host Wayne Besen after he finished his radio show on Friday. Late Saturday afternoon, Besen gave a statement about his forced exit from the radio station he has been working with for the past three years.
On his personal Facebook account, Besen wrote the following words today
to his many friends and fans who might be upset about WCPT-AM/FM's decision...
On Friday, WCPT 820 AM and I parted ways. The "official" reason was that they wanted to go in a more local direction.
A few things:
1) I want to thank my amazing listeners and callers. It was a wonderful journey and I am grateful we were able to have important conversations about the key issues affecting our lives. It was a privilege and an honor to get to know you.
2) The show did not end from poor ratings. I more than tripled the ratings of the previous host and equaled or surpassed the conservative competition. I regularly filled 10 phone lines for three straight hours. I accomplished these competitive ratings and full lines in spite of virtually no advertising or public relations support. Fact.
4) Ben Joravsky is replacing me. I've interviewed him many times. Ben is a nice person and I wish him the best.
5) I am exploring my next venture. That could be a show around the area or possibly national syndication. Time will tell. I am also still the Executive Director of www.TruthWinsOut.org. Please check out my website and support our work.
6) In the meantime, beginning Monday, I will be broadcasting one hour a day at 2PM (CT) on Facebook Live. There will not be calls at this time. If you miss my daily broadcasts they will be posted on Facebook/wbesen and WayneBesen.com
Thank you for your love and support these past few years. I've had an amazing time with you. I look forward to our next chapter together.
Besen joined WCPT-AM/FM in April 2014 as the weekend host of "I've Got Issues." After a pair of successful weekday fill-in weeks, WCPT-AM/FM decided to launch its first-ever
live and local weekday afternoon program with Besen as the host. "The Wayne Besen Show" made its weekday debut in July 2015.
In the last two years, Besen has also served as a fill-in host for the nationally syndicated "Norman Goldman Show."
Florida native Besen is a human rights advocate and the author of two books: "Anything But Straight
" and "Bashing Back
." He is also the founder and Executive Director of Chicago-based Truth Wins Out, a non-profit organization that works to eliminate anti-LGBT prejudice and extremism. Besen has been frequent commentator/analyst covering LGBT rights issues for the national cable news outlets.