Published on Thursday, 30 September 2010 20:56
In tonight's News & Notes, we have stories about a dinner honoring Bill Kurtis & Walter Jacobson; a party hosted Tony Sculfield, Herb Kent, Richard Steele, Bionce Foxx & others; Lise Dominique & Harvey the Wonder Dog help out for less than a buck, Andy Avalos helps out some cats & dogs, too; Warren Ballentine talks with the Prez; Dave Koz & WLFM get ready for the holidays; Eric Zorn, Scott Stantis, Phil Rosenthal try to talk civilly about politics; Jason Thomas goes out drinking on a Saturday night; Steve Harvey celebrates #5, and more!
* * Friday evening, Friendship Village of Schaumburg is holding their 13th annual Sterling Friendship Award Dinner in the Utopia Ballroom of the Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center Hotel (1551 N. Thoreau Dr., Schaumburg) beginning at 6:30pm. The fundraising dinner will be honoring Chicago news legends, Bill Kurtis and Walter Jacobson, as well as their 40-year careers and the impact they have had on the Chicago community. For more information about the event, to reserve tickets or make a donation, please contact Friendship Senior Services at 847-884-5007.
* * Friday night is also a fundraising party benefiting Clara's House, a Chicago shelter for women and children seeking refuge from domestic violence. Carter Russell, the owner of the Chicago marketing & PR company Carter Russell Music, is having his 21st annual birthday with all proceeds going to Clara's House. The party will be held at Transit (1431 W. Lake St., Chicago) and begins a 5:30pm. The party will be hosted by WGCI-FM's Tony Sculfield, WVAZ-FM'S Herb Kent, Ramonski Luv & Joe Soto, WBEZ-FM's Richard Steele, WSRB-FM's Darryll King and former WGCI-FM DJ Bionce Foxx. Suggested donation to join the party is $35. Call 312-567-1123 for more info.
* * Chicago radio personality & WLS news anchor Lise Dominique's children's book, "Harvey the Hungry Dog," was released as a $2.99 app for iPads one month ago. All day Friday, that amount drops down to only $0.99 inside the Apple App Store! Tomorrow is the Chicago Anti-Cruelty Society's special event "It's Raining Cats and Dogs." To help raise awareness of this event, the iPad eBook is having this one day sale. "I'm a huge fan of the Anti-Cruelty Society and the work they do here in Chicago bringing people together with their future pets" said Lise Dominique "and I applaud them on the tenth anniversary of this wonderful event." To help out a good cause and to have a wonderful interactive book for your kids, visit this link HERE
* * Speaking of the Chicago Anti-Cruelty Society's special event "It's Raining Cats and Dogs," the 10th annual fundraiser of the same name takes place tomorrow night at the Hard Rock Hotel (230 N. Michigan Ave, Chicago) beginning at 6:30pm. WMAQ-TV's Andy Avalos will be the evening's host. The event will feature chef tastings, wine, beer, cocktails, live music & dancing, live & silent auctions, raffles and more. For more information, visit this link HERE
* * Warren Ballentine, the Chicago attorney and host of the syndicated Warren Ballentine Show on radio (heard on tape delay on WVON-AM Monday-Friday 2:00am-5:00am) has gained a huge guest for his show -- maybe the biggest. Tomorrow afternoon, Ballentine will interview President Barrack Obama. This will be the third time Ballentine has interviewed him, as he has done this before when Barrack Obama was a Senator and once since becoming President. Warren Ballentine may also made headlines again in the coming weeks as he is considering throwing his hat into the crowded Chicago Mayoral race.
* * Tomorrow is only October 1st and it may seem like it's too soon to think about Christmas, but it's not. The Dave Koz and Friends Smooth Jazz Christmas concert is coming to the Chicago Theater on December 4th, with Koz and special guests Jonathan Butler, Brian Culbertson & Candy Dulfer. Tickets are not on sale yet, however, if you a fan & friend of WLFM 87.7 Chicago's Smooth Jazz station (and really, how could you not be?), you can get your tickets before anybody else with a special pre-sale going on Friday from 10:00am-10:00pm only! Visit this link HERE
and enter the code WLFM. Couldn't be any smoother. Plus, you can listen to Dave Koz do his weekday show on WLFM each Monday-Friday from 2:00pm-7:00pm.
* * The latest podcast of "The Prickly Pair" (aka The Chicago Tribune columnist & blogger-before-blogger-was-a-word Eric Zorn and Chicago Tribune editorial cartoonist Scott Stantis) features yet another Chicago Tribune employee, media columnist and fine blogger in his own right, Phil Rosenthal. The podcast is always a fun listen, but this week's podcast is especially fun. The Prickly Pair podcast page (try saying that ten times fast) is at this link HERE
* * Saturday night, you can go drinking with WXRT's Jason Thomas. It is time for an XRT Pub Crawl, as Jason Thomas and as many fans as the bars can hold go staggering down Oak Park Avenue in Tinley Park beginning at 4:00pm and ending around 9:00pm. Assuming Jason is sober enough to pass them all out, he will have tickets for a White Sox game in a skybox suite with a visit to the broadcast booth, tickets to see numerous XRT artists in concert, passes to Studio X, seasonal memberships to Top Golf and more! The pub crawl starts at Bailey's, and then crawls on down to Cuzin's, Teehan's, Durbin's, and ends up at JW Holstein's. Registration starts at 4:00pm Saturday night or you can pre-register at this email link
* * This Monday, October 4th will be the 5th anniversary of the syndicated Steve Harvey Morning Show, heard locally each weekday morning on WVAZ-FM. Harvey is promising plenty of surprises and special guests including John Legend and Mo'Nique.