Approximately 24 hours after his exit from the station, Wayne Besen talks about it on Facebook...

Wayne Besen Gives Statement Regarding His Surprise Release From WCPT

Sunday, March 26 2017, 12:17 PM - #permalink
    I've never tuned in to WCPT but Wayne Besen's post-up on his departure was a very classy one.

Monday, March 27 2017, 05:53 PM - #permalink
    I am sorry to hear that you released Wayne and hate the manner in which you did it. I have listened to your station for a few years and like your lineups. In the future please give us some warning when making a big change such as this.

Tuesday, March 28 2017, 09:47 AM - #permalink
    Unfortunately, James E Lee Jr., this is how it is almost always done in radio. It is very rare that a host is given a chance to bid his listeners farewell. I don't know why they made the decision. Sure, putting Ben Joravsky on the air is great... but maybe they could have arranged things to replace a syndicated show (obviously not Thom or Stephanie!) with more live and local programming.

Tuesday, March 28 2017, 01:43 PM - #permalink
    Sad to hear this. He was a good listen. And if WCPT says they let Besen go because they wanted a more local flavor to the program....well that's malarky. That's the same reason they gave when they hired Besen after unloading Jeff Santos...because Santos' program came out of Boston and had no Chicago content.

Wednesday, March 29 2017, 10:51 AM - #permalink
    WCPT & its 3 listeners will certainly miss Besen.

Wednesday, March 29 2017, 12:52 PM - #permalink
    Besen could be good, but inconsistent. When he got onto a soapbox about some things he just. would. not. stop. and there were times when that drove me away. I understand you feel strongly about gun control Wayne, because I heard the 15 minute rant.

Wednesday, March 29 2017, 04:57 PM - #permalink
    I am a conservative, but in searching for a show that time of day, I tried Ben Joravsky. I can't take anymore of Roe Conn, Sean Hannity doesn't do it for me, etc. While I didn't agree with much,that I heard from Ben, it was an enjoyable listen. He seems smart, talked about issues rather than all the TMZ type stuff, and I didn't hear any yelling or bad imitations. He reminded me a little of John Williams. While I don't see myself listening to his whole show every day, I certainly will check in at times to get the "opposing viewpoint".

The CHICAGOLAND RADIO & MEDIA website is the #1 resource for news, information, discussions and celebrations of all things related to Chicago radio, television, newspapers and more. Please help support the website by clicking on the "Donate" button below! THANK YOU for your backing!